For over the last fifty years, the University Council has functioned as the rule-making body of the University of Georgia. Established through the adoption of the Statutes of the University of Georgia by the Board of Regents, the first meeting of University Council occurred on November 2, 1959 in the Continuing Education Center. Presiding over the inaugural meeting was University of Georgia President Omer C. Aderhold.
The University Council today continues its role of serving the educational interests and welfare of the University of Georgia. The University Council serves not only as a voting body that acts on recommendations from the various University Council standing committees and in an advisory capacity to the President, it also serves as an outlet through which the campus populace can voice an opinion concerning important issues pertaining to the University.
Six meetings are scheduled during a term of the Council, beginning in the Fall semester of each academic term and running through the following Spring semester. For the 2015-2016 term, the Council currently is comprised of 216 members, 154 of which are faculty representing the various schools, colleges, and administrative units, 8 representing Staff Council, 20 who are student representatives, and 34 who are serving in an ex-officio capacity. Each meeting is run by the President of the University of Georgia, who acts as President of the University Council. Assisting the President during each meeting is the Chair of the University Council Executive Committee, the Registrar, who serves as Secretary to the Council, and the Parliamentarian, who provides guidance on the rules of order for meetings.
UGA Presidents, Secretaries, and Executive Committee chairs
|Executive Committee Chair||Term|
|Susan Mattern Parkes||2006-2007|
|Sylvia Hillyard Pannell||1995-1996|
|Betty Jean Craige||1992-1993|
|Jere W. Morehead||2013-present|
|Michael F. Adams||1997-2013|
|Charles B. Knapp||1987-1997|
|Henry K. Stanford||1986-1987|
|Frederick C. Davison||1967-1986|
|Omer C. Aderhold||1950-1967|